How to Microwave Shrimp
Prep Time1 min
Cook Time4-5 mins
to complete a paint-by-number
Yes, you can (and should!) cook seafood in the microwave — especially juicy, succulent shrimp. Steaming retains the shrimps’ natural flavor and a bit of bite. There’s no need to add any oil before cooking, from fresh or frozen. Plus, they’re ready in under the time it takes you to peel a plate’s worth. Want cocktail shrimp or shrimp scampi on a weeknight? The microwave is your friend.
Why Use An Anyday? When using an Anyday dish, shrimp take about 3-4 minutes to cook in the microwave until fully steamed through. While shrimp quickly cooks on the stovetop or in the oven, the convenience of an Anyday dish is unmatched: Cook, serve, store, and reheat shrimp all in the same dish. Then place the Anyday dish right in the dishwasher when the shrimp has been devoured.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
- 8 ounces large shrimp (21/25), peeled and deveined
- Olive oil (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Season shrimp with olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Place in one layer in an Anyday Shallow Dish.
- Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
- Cook in the microwave for 4-5 minutes, or until shrimp is opaque white with bright pink accents.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Taco filling: Season with chili powder and lime juice
- Tangy chili: Mix with Worcestershire sauce, chopped parsley, and chili flakes
- Thai-inspired: Mix with sweet chili sauce, chopped cilantro, and lime juice
- Scampi: Mix with melted butter, garlic powder, chopped parsley, and a splash of lemon juice
- Cocktail-style: Cool completely, add a squeeze of lemon juice, and serve with cocktail sauce.
- Mexican-style shrimp cocktail: Mix in with tomato juice, chopped red onion, cilantro, lime juice, avocado and hot sauce. Enjoy with thinly sliced celery
- Quick shrimp scampi: add some butter, garlic powder, chopped parsley, and lemon juice
- Shrimp and avocado salad: Cut the shrimp into smaller pieces and toss with fresh diced tomatoes, avocado, lime juice and zest, olive oil, chopped cilantro, and hot sauce
- For the most even cooking, flip halfway through the cook time.
- You may need to add time for larger shrimp, and decrease time for smaller shrimp.
- For frozen shrimp, add 1 teaspoon liquid (e.g. water, chicken stock, soy sauce) per 8oz of shrimp to quickly boost the steam. You may need to add a bit more cook time.
- We recommend using an Anyday Shallow Dish for cooking proteins. If using an Anyday Deep Dish, you may need to add more cooking time.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.
Microwave Match Up: Shrimp
See for yourself— microwaving shrimp is simply faster, start to finish.
|Microwave in an Anyday dish||3-4 mins|
|Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker)*||15-18 mins|
Step by Step: Microwaving Shrimp
Place shrimp in one layer in an Anyday Shallow Dish
Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
Cook in the microwave.
Shrimp is ready when opaque and pink.
All you need to know about microwaving shrimp
How long does shrimp take to cook in the microwave?
|8 oz (225g) large shrimp||4-5 mins|
|16 oz (450g) large shrimp||6-7 mins|
|24 oz (680g) large shrimp||8-9 mins|
Shrimp take about 3-4 minutes to steam in the microwave for a 1000w microwave. Cook times can vary based on the size and amount of shrimp in the dish. When cooking shrimp, stir periodically to ensure even cooking. If any portion is gray, continue cooking until pink and opaque. It’s very easy to overcook shrimp, so start with less time and add more as needed.
How to tell when shrimp is cooked through?
The easiest way to tell if shrimp is cooked through is by looking at its color. Raw shrimp is translucent and gray while cooked shrimp is opaque and pink. The shrimp is fully cooked when a thermometer reads 145°F. You can also test for doneness using the “bounce test.” Fully cooked shrimp will bounce back when pressed down, while undercooked shrimp will not.
How to microwave raw shrimp from frozen?
When you are ready to microwave frozen shrimp, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight before cooking. You can also cook directly from frozen using an Anyday dish, adding time in 1-minute increments.
How to microwave cooked shrimp from frozen?
Frozen, pre-cooked shrimp are ready to eat as soon as they are thawed. To microwave from frozen, add 1 teaspoon of water to the dish, cover and microwave in 30 second increments, or until the shrimp are warmed through.
How to make cocktail shrimp in the microwave?
Defrost a dozen shrimp, place them in an even layer in my Large Shallow Dish along with some fresh lemon zest, and microwave for 3 minutes. If the shrimp aren’t fully opaque, leave the lid on with the knob down to let the residual steam finish the job. When the shrimp are fully cooked, drop into an ice bath to quickly chill. Serve over ice with cocktail sauce and plenty of lemon.