ChihYu Smith's Paleo Egg Drop Soup
This comforting chicken soup was originally developed by ChihYu Smith of I Heart Umami and inspired by her grandma’s chicken egg drop soup. This recipe also happens to be Paleo, Whole30, and Keto — a dietary triple threat. The chicken thighs are cooked directly in the light broth which is flavored with scallions and ginger. Then, beaten eggs are drizzled into the broth and cooked until wispy.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time6 mins
Cook Time8-9 mins
to call your grandmother
- 1 chicken thigh, bone-in and skin-on
- 1 ½ teaspoons avocado or olive oil (or other keto-friendly oil)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 ½ cups (350ml) chicken stock
- ½ tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- ⅛ teaspoon black or white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 eggs
- Toasted sesame oil, to taste
- Place the chicken, oil, salt, scallions (reserve some for garnish at the end), ginger, chicken stock, coconut aminos, and arrowroot starch in the Anyday. Cover with the lid (knob lifted). Cook in the microwave for 7-9 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Remove the chicken from the broth. Using 2 forks, shred the meat off the bone. Once shredded, add the chicken back into the Anyday dish.
- In a very thin stream, drizzle the beaten eggs into the broth, then add in the pepper and turmeric.
- Cook uncovered for 1-2 minutes, or eggs are cooked through but still very tender with a wispy texture.
- Sprinkle with sesame oil to taste and garnish with the reserved chopped scallions.
Serving suggestions & tips
- For a lighter version, use skinless chicken.
- To make this vegetarian, substitute the chicken for tofu or bok choy. (Since these items cook faster, adjust cooking timing accordingly).
- If you like your soup a bit spicy, add some chili crisp or chili flakes at the end.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.