Cinnamon Sticky Buns with Cream Cheese Frosting
Fluffy, chewy, and packed with sugar and spice, every piece of these sticky buns tastes like a sought-after middle piece. They’re also insanely easy — we make ours with store-bought crescent roll dough. Top with a drizzle of tangy cream cheese frosting for extra decadence.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time7-8 mins
to sleep in, for once!
For the sugar glaze
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup (60g) brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or dark rum
For the filling
- ¼ cup (30g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or cocoa powder
For the dough
- ½ package Pillsbury Grands Big & Buttery Crescent Rolls
For the frosting
- 4 oz (115g) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup (30g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the sugar glaze: Melt the butter in the Anyday dish, and then add the remaining ingredients for the glaze. Cook in the microwave uncovered for 1-2 minutes.
- For the filling: In a separate medium bowl, mix the ingredients for the filling until well incorporated and set aside.
- Open the package of crescent roll dough. On a lightly floured large surface, position each triangular piece so the longest point is closest to you. Evenly spread the filling over the entire surface of each piece of dough. Starting with the pointy side closest to you, tightly roll the dough pieces, tucking in the sides to create a bun shape.
- Place the rolls on top of the sugar glaze. Cook uncovered at Power Level 6✕
Certain foods cook best in the microwave at lower power levels.
Different microwaves have different settings. See your microwave manual (or look it up online) to learn how to change your microwave’s power level.
For many microwaves: enter the cook time, press the “Power” (or “Power Level”) button, and select a number between 1-10. Other microwaves may require selecting the Power Level first, and then entering the cook time.
Microwaves list power levels in different ways. Here’s a guide to help you adjust:
PL 10 = 100% = High (default)
PL 9 = 90% = High
PL 8 = 80% = Med-High
PL 7 = 70% = Med-High
PL 6 = 60% = Medium
PL 5 = 50% = Medium
PL 4 = 40% = Med-Low
PL 3 = 30% = Med-Low
PL 2 = 20% = Low
PL 1 = 10% = Low
You will know if the power level has been successfully changed if you hear periodic changes in the microwave’s tone after it begins cooking.
- For the frosting: While the cinnamon rolls are cooking, mix together the frosting ingredients in a separate microwave-safe bowl. After rolls finish cooking, heat frosting in the microwave for 30 seconds and mix until it’s a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Once the rolls have cooled a bit, flip over onto a clean plate and drizzle the cream cheese frosting over the rolls. Pull apart and serve.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Substitute cinnamon for pumpkin spice in the filling.
- Substitute the brown sugar for maple syrup in the glaze.
- Sprinkle toasted pecans or walnuts over the filling for texture
- For chocolate rolls, substitute the filling for chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed