Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
In the olden days when you wanted spaghetti squash, you roasted it in the oven for 40 minutes and remembered why you didn't cook it often. But you don't have to live like that anymore. The squash steams to perfection in under 15 minutes in the microwave, and becomes a perfect vehicle for a hearty meat sauce. Serve it in the squash shell and save yourself a bowl.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time5 min
Cook Time15-18 min
to enjoy a bubble bath
- 1 small spaghetti squash, halved and seeds removed (you’ll only be using half of the squash for this recipe)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ¼ cup (30g) onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz (225g) lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (150g) jarred marinara sauce, divided
- ¼ cup (20g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Place one half of the spaghetti squash cut-side up in the Anyday dish. Season with salt and olive oil. Cover with lid (knob lifted).
- Cook the squash in the microwave for 7-9 minutes, or until the squash can be pierced with a fork but is not yet fully tender. While the squash cooks, in a separate bowl, mix together the onion, ground beef, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and ½ cup of marinara sauce.
- Fill the cavity of the cooked squash with the meat mixture. Cover and cook for 6 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through while still juicy.
- Spread the remaining ¼ cup of marinara sauce and shredded cheese over the squash. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes more, or until the cheese is melted.
Serving suggestions & tips
- You can make stuffed bell peppers with this recipe too! Instead of cooking the squash, slice bell peppers in half and remove seeds and ribs. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the peppers just start to soften. Then, proceed with the recipe.
- You can use ground turkey or chicken for a lighter take on this hearty meal.
- Add some chopped jalapenos in the meat mixture for a spicy touch.
- For a vegetarian dish, replace the meat for cooked rice or quinoa.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.