Althea Brown’s Whole30 Spaghetti Squash Mac & Cheese
Althea Brown of @wholesomecaribbean developed this recipe for her blog while she was completing a Whole30 reset and wanted to enjoy a version of the macaroni and cheese her family was eating. Tender spaghetti squash “noodles” get coated in a creamy sauce made with cashews, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, and mustard. It’s hard to believe that the final version of this flavorful casserole is dairy and gluten-free.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20-27 mins
to follow @wholesomecaribbean on Instagram
- ¼ (225g) spaghetti squash, deseeded and cut into large pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- ½ cup (70g) raw cashews
- ¼ cup (60ml) warm water
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon nutritional yeast, plus ¾ teaspoon for garnish
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated, optional
- smoked paprika, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the spaghetti squash cut-side up in the Anyday dish and season with salt and olive oil. Cover with the lid (knob lifted) and cook in the microwave for 5-7 minutes, or until the squash can be pierced with a fork.
- While the squash cooks, place the cashews, warm water, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, onion powder, and salt to taste in a blender and process until it becomes a smooth sauce. Set aside.
- Remove the squash from the dish and scoop out the flesh using a fork. Add the squash back into the Anyday dish and shred with a fork.
- Add in the cashew sauce, chopped parsley, eggs, spicy mustard and nutmeg if using and mix well.
- Smooth the surface slightly and clean the sides of the dish, then top the dish with some nutritional yeast and paprika.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes if you want a golden top. Alternatively, cook in the microwave for 1 minute if you want to enjoy your dish right away.
Serving suggestions & tips
- For a creamier dish, skip additional cook time and serve immediately.
- For a vegan-friendly dish, remove the eggs and add more cashew sauce.
- Add turmeric for an extra golden delicious color.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.