Freezer-Friendly Veggie Tots
Prep Time8 mins
Cook Time5-6 mins
to blow bubbles outside
These sweet potato and broccoli "tots" are a fun and tasty way to get some extra veggies into your little ones' diets. Plus, with the addition of rice and cheese, they're also a good source of protein. They're perfect for meal prep - just freeze them in an Anytime tray and pop them out whenever the kiddos (or adults!) are ready to eat.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup (70g) broccoli florets
- 1 cup (130g) chopped sweet potatoes
- ½ cup (50g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup (30g) breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (130g) cooked brown rice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Place the broccoli and sweet potatoes in the Anyday dish.
- Cover with lid (knob lifted) and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork
- Transfer vegetables to a food processor. Add cheese, egg, breadcrumbs, rice, salt. and pepper. Process until the mixture resembles a crumbly ‘dough’.
- Transfer mixture to a 2-tbsp Freezer Tray, making sure to pack in as much as you can. Freeze at least four hours, or overnight.
- To finish the tots, carefully remove them from the mold and transfer to a plate to thaw slightly.
- Coat with cooking spray and bake in a 400°F oven or toaster oven. Looking for a bit of crunch? In a hot skillet, sear on both side in olive oil until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Use potatoes, parsnips or carrots instead of sweet potatoes.
- Use quinoa, couscous, or brown rice instead of white rice.
- Add chia seeds, wheat bran, or oats for additional nutritional value.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, substitute breadcrumbs with potato flakes or gluten-free bread crumbs.
- You can freeze the tots for up to 30 days.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.