One dish, three main ingredients, hit the Start button and walk away — preparing this flavorful rice could not be any easier. It’s the perfect complement to any entree, though we won’t blame you if you eat it alone straight from the dish.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
to do a HIIT workout
- ¾ cup (140g) long grain rice
- 1 cup (240ml) chicken broth or water
- ½ cup (120g) canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Add all the ingredients to the Anyday dish and mix well. Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
- Cook in the microwave at Power Level 6✕
Certain foods cook best in the microwave at lower power levels.
Different microwaves have different settings. See your microwave manual (or look it up online) to learn how to change your microwave’s power level.
For many microwaves: enter the cook time, press the “Power” (or “Power Level”) button, and select a number between 1-10. Other microwaves may require selecting the Power Level first, and then entering the cook time.
Microwaves list power levels in different ways. Here’s a guide to help you adjust:
PL 10 = 100% = High (default)
PL 9 = 90% = High
PL 8 = 80% = Med-High
PL 7 = 70% = Med-High
PL 6 = 60% = Medium
PL 5 = 50% = Medium
PL 4 = 40% = Med-Low
PL 3 = 30% = Med-Low
PL 2 = 20% = Low
PL 1 = 10% = Low
You will know if the power level has been successfully changed if you hear periodic changes in the microwave’s tone after it begins cooking.
- Stir and fluff the rice before serving.
Serving suggestions & tips
- This recipe is endlessly customizable! Add some cumin and cinnamon for a Persian flair, or cumin and garam masala to pair with Indian dishes.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.