Savory Breakfast Casserole
Decadent enough for a special occasion, yet fast enough for a weekday, this casserole contains all of breakfast's greatest hits: eggy challah, bits of salty ham, melted cheese, and some greens for good measure. If there's any meal worth waking up for, it's this one.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time7 mins
Cook Time4-6 mins
to go for a drive
- 1 cup (240ml) half and half
- 2 egg yolks
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 slices of breakfast ham, diced
- 3 cups (100g) cubed challah, Hawaiian rolls, or brioche
- 1 cup (40g) chopped spinach (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- ¾ cup (45g) shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped parsley or chives, for garnish
- Place the half and half, egg yolks, salt, and pepper in the Anyday dish and whisk well to combine. Stir in the ham and bread and toss in the mixture to thoroughly coat. Add the spinach and mix until fully incorporated, making sure the bread is well soaked in the batter. Sprinkle the top of the mixture with cheese.
- Cook uncovered for 4-6 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the custard is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley or chives if desired, and enjoy warm.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Substitute the ham for cooked mushrooms to make this dish vegetarian.
- Swap sliced ham with leftover roasted chicken or turkey.
- Use chicken or vegetable stock instead of half and half for a lighter dish.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.