Tender chicken is coated in simple — and simply delicious — teriyaki sauce, made from soy sauce, sake, and mirin (a Japanese rice wine that adds subtle sweetness). Garlic and ginger add zing, while toasted sesame oil rounds out the dish with a bit of nuttiness.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time7 mins
Cook Time10-11 mins
to text a friend and ask how they are
- 1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Toasted sesame oil, as needed
- Toasted sesame seeds, as needed
- Place the oil, ginger, garlic, tamari or soy sauce, sake, mirin, cornstarch, and agave into the Anyday dish and stir until the starch is fully dissolved.
- Cook uncovered in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add the thighs and mix well in order to ensure they are fully coated in the sauce.
- Continue cooking with the lid slightly ajar for 8-9 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Flip chicken halfway through to ensure full coverage and better flavor.
- Optional: to get some char on the chicken, place cooked thighs in a 500°F oven for a few minutes, or until the thighs brown slightly.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and drizzle sesame oil over the thighs.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Add broccoli, bean sprouts or any other quick cooking vegetables of your choice towards the end of the cooking time.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.