The timeless combination of greens and cream turns straightforward vegetables into an indulgent side. We use spinach's sturdier cousin, kale, whose hearty leaves stand up better to the rich cream. Garlic, black pepper, and chili add spice that complement kale's bitterness.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time6 mins
to sit in blissful silence
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup (50ml) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 bunch kale or swiss chard, tough center and stem removed and cut into ribbons (between 100-150g)
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes, optional
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Add the butter, garlic, salt, pepper, chili flakes, cream and cornstarch into the Anyday dish. Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
- Cook in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until liquid thickens. Stir or whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add greens in batches, stirring into the sauce slowly to coat. Pack greens tightly into the dish — they will shrink as they cook!
- Cover and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes, (stirring halfway through), or until greens are tender. Stir again, and enjoy while warm.
Serving suggestions & tips
- You may substitute the butter for plant-based butter and the heavy cream for coconut milk for a vegan-friendly dish.
- Add dried cranberries to the cream for a sweet touch.
- Season with a pinch of ground coriander, ground cardamom, and cumin for a more aromatic side.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.