How to Microwave Asparagus
Prep Time2 mins
Cook Time3 mins
to drink a glass of Austrian wine
A telltale sign of spring, asparagus steams beautifully in the microwave. Stalks quickly become tender with just the right amount of crisp, turning into a vibrant green color along the way. Thicker stalks will need a bit more time to cook than thinner ones.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
- 7-8 (6 ounces) asparagus, trimmed
- Cut the tough, fibrous ends off of the asparagus.
- Place in an Anyday dish and cover with the lid (knob lifted).
- Cook in the microwave for 3 minutes, or until asparagus is bright green and tender, but not mushy.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Tangy Parmesan: Toss with orange zest, grated parmesan cheese, and champagne vinegar.
- Mint and Feta: Mix with mint, feta, and thinly sliced apple.
- Crispy sesame: Mix with sesame dressing (sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar), topped with crispy noodles and sesame seeds.
- Avocado toast topper: Top avocado toast with sliced eggs and asparagus.
- White, green, and purple asparagus cook for the same amount of time.
- If asparagus is thick, use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin off the bottom half of the stalk to make it more tender.
- For thicker stalks, add more time in 30-second increments if needed. For thinner stalks, decrease the cook time.
- For the most even cooking, stir halfway through the cook time.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.
Microwave Match Up: Asparagus
See for yourself— microwaving asparagus is simply faster, start to finish.
|Microwave in an Anyday dish||2-4 mins|
Step by Step: Microwaving Asparagus
Trim the woody asparagus ends.
Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
Cook in the microwave.
Asparagus is done when bright green and tender.