How to Microwave Artichokes
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time8-9 mins
to enjoy the springtime
Artichoke season is upon us. (The crown jewel of springtime!) The best way to celebrate this seasonal vegetable is to enjoy it just as it is: Simply steamed, with a side of melted butter or aioli for dipping.
Why Use An Anyday? Skip the stovetop steamer or pressure cooker and cook whole artichokes in the microwave in an Anyday Deep dish. The lid keeps all of the moisture inside of the dish, steaming artichokes in a fraction of the time.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
- 1 medium artichoke
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- Trim the stem of the artichoke. If needed, cut the top slightly to fit the artichoke in the dish.
- Add water and cover with the lid (knob lifted).
- Cook in the microwave for 8-9 minutes, or until the outer leaves pull off easily and the heart is tender when pierced with a knife.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Italian Twist: Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and shaved parmesan cheese.
- Simply Classic: Serve with fresh garlic aioli and torn tarragon.
- Bright & Spiced: Toss with olive oil, fresh lemon juice and zest and serve with romesco sauce.
- Note: Some artichokes may be too large for the Anyday. If needed, cut off the top of the artichokes to fit the dish.
- Some of the outer leaves might look slightly dry — this is normal! The tender leaves are protected inside the middle of the artichoke.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.
Microwave Match Up: Artichokes
See for yourself— it's simply faster to microwave artichokes, start to finish.
|Microwave in an Anyday dish||6-8 mins|
|Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker)*||20 mins|
Step-by-Step: Microwaving Artichokes
Add artichoke and water to Anyday dish.
Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
Cook in the microwave.
Artichokes are done when the heart is tender and leaves pull off easily.
All You Need to Know About Microwaving Artichokes
How long does it take to cook artichokes in the microwave?
|1 medium artichoke||6-8 mins|
|2 medium artichokes||10-12 mins|
Depending on their size and weight, each artichoke takes 6-8 minutes to cook in the microwave. To speed up the cooking process, cut the artichoke in half prior to steaming. You may need to carve out the choke in the center with a paring knife.
Should artichokes be steamed or boiled?
Artichokes are nutritional powerhouses — they are packed with Vitamin C! We recommend steaming artichokes to help retain their nutritional value. Plus, steaming artichokes in the microwave is a more convenient way to cook this seasonal vegetable! Forget the stovetop steaming basket — microwaving artichokes works just as well.
What is the best way to cut an artichoke?
Artichokes can be slightly hard when handled raw. Use a sharp knife to remove the stem and to trim the top to fit in the Anyday dish. If your knife is not very sharp, try using a bread knife. The serrated design of the knife can make it easier to cut the tough vegetable. Move the knife front and back in a “sawing” motion to help get through the leaves.
How to cook frozen artichoke hearts?
Add frozen artichoke hearts to an Anyday and add 2 tablespoons of water. Cover with lid (knob lifted) and cook for 3-5 minutes. Frozen artichokes are par-cooked so make sure to carefully heat them up without overcooking.
How to cook canned artichoke hearts?
Strain the artichoke hearts and place in an Anyday. Cover with lid (knob lifted) and cook for 2-4 minutes, adding more time as needed. You will not need to add water to the dish as the canned asparagus are typically packed in a brine.
How to cook an artichoke without a steamer?
Cooking with Anyday and the microwave is easier than setting up a traditional steamer or boiling pot on the stove. Your microwave is essentially a super powered steamer! Quick steaming will help preserve the natural vitamins and minerals as well as it freshness and crisp flavor.