Microwave Egg Bites
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5-6 mins
to find your keys
Use the microwave to make fast, fluffy egg bites that will save you precious minutes in the morning! Customize these egg bites with your favorite fillings and cook directly in the Anytime Trays. This recipe calls for cooking at a lower power level for the ideal texture. Need more information on how to change your power level? It’s easier than getting in the drive-thru lane at your neighborhood coffee chain. Read our blog post for the how-to!
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise or sour cream, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl, vigorously beat the eggs with the mayo or sour cream. The mixture should be smooth and homogenous.
- Coat the cups of a ½ cup Anytime Tray with nonstick cooking spray and divide egg mixture evenly. Take care to wipe up any excess egg on the surface of the tray.
- Top egg cups with desired mix-ins, pressing gently to submerge. Carefully transfer Anytime Tray to the microwave.
- Cook in the microwave for 5-6 minutes at Power Level 5✕
Certain foods cook best in the microwave at lower power levels.
Different microwaves have different settings. See your microwave manual (or look it up online) to learn how to change your microwave’s power level.
For many microwaves: enter the cook time, press the “Power” (or “Power Level”) button, and select a number between 1-10. Other microwaves may require selecting the Power Level first, and then entering the cook time.
Microwaves list power levels in different ways. Here’s a guide to help you adjust:
PL 10 = 100% = High (default)
PL 9 = 90% = High
PL 8 = 80% = Med-High
PL 7 = 70% = Med-High
PL 6 = 60% = Medium
PL 5 = 50% = Medium
PL 4 = 40% = Med-Low
PL 3 = 30% = Med-Low
PL 2 = 20% = Low
PL 1 = 10% = Low
You will know if the power level has been successfully changed if you hear periodic changes in the microwave’s tone after it begins cooking.
- Allow egg bites to cool (about 5 minutes) before enjoying. These egg bites will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Herbs & Goat Cheese: Add softened goat cheese and fresh herbs, such as chives, parsley, basil or thyme.
- Bacon & Gruyere: Add cooked and crumbled bacon, and shredded gruyere cheese.
- Veggie: Add sliced cherry tomatoes, diced roasted bell peppers, sliced black olives, and shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- Broccoli Cheddar: Add shredded broccoli florets, cheddar cheese, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Ham and cheese: Add diced Canadian bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.
- When microwaving food in the Anytime trays, be sure to portion the cups of the trays equally. Uneven filling will result in uneven cooking.
- Take care to wipe up any excess egg on the surface of the tray.
- Why do the ingredients need to be at room temperature? When at room temperature, eggs, butter, and other dairy ingredients form an emulsion which traps air inside of the egg bites. That trapped air results in a light and fluffy egg texture when cooked in the microwave..
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.