Mediterranean Grain Salad
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25-30 mins
to go for a family bike ride
Cook perfect grains in the microwave every time! This big batch salad is tossed with nutty farro, crunchy vegetables, and fresh spring greens. The Extra Large dish’s tall, beveled sides make it the ideal dish to cook a generous serving to feed the whole family.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
- 3 cups (600g) pearled farro
- 3¾ cups (900ml) water
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups (300g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups (300g) cucumber, diced
- 1 cup (115g) crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup (50ml) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 (5oz) packaged salad greens (such as spring mix or arugula)
- Combine farro, water, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper in the Extra Large Anyday dish. Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
- Cook in the microwave at Power Level 5✕
Certain foods cook best in the microwave at lower power levels.
Different microwaves have different settings. See your microwave manual (or look it up online) to learn how to change your microwave’s power level.
For many microwaves: enter the cook time, press the “Power” (or “Power Level”) button, and select a number between 1-10. Other microwaves may require selecting the Power Level first, and then entering the cook time.
Microwaves list power levels in different ways. Here’s a guide to help you adjust:
PL 10 = 100% = High (default)
PL 9 = 90% = High
PL 8 = 80% = Med-High
PL 7 = 70% = Med-High
PL 6 = 60% = Medium
PL 5 = 50% = Medium
PL 4 = 40% = Med-Low
PL 3 = 30% = Med-Low
PL 2 = 20% = Low
PL 1 = 10% = Low
You will know if the power level has been successfully changed if you hear periodic changes in the microwave’s tone after it begins cooking.
- Stir in lemon juice, dijon mustard, and remaining olive oil, tossing to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Mix in the cherry tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, and salad greens and toss until fully incorporated.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Keep it vegan by substituting feta cheese for diced green apples.
- For a Waldorf-style salad, mix the farro with chopped celery, sliced grapes, chopped toasted walnuts and parsley.
- To make this salad ahead of time, keep all of the veggies separate and toss the dish together when you’re ready to enjoy.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.