Scalloped Potato Gratin
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
to collect an autumnal bouquet
Have you ever made scalloped potatoes in the oven and baked the dish for hours, only to discover they are totally undercooked in the middle? And, of course, it happens right when it’s time to sit down for dinner. Skip the stress — the microwave works a holiday miracle with this foolproof dish! Layer thinly sliced potatoes with heavy cream and cornstarch for a quick, impressive side dish that cooks quickly and evenly every time.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- ½ cup (50g) mozzarella cheese (optional)
- In a shallow Anyday dish, whisk the cream with the salt, nutmeg, pepper, cornstarch, and thyme.
- Cover with lid (knob lifted) and cook in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until the cream has thickened when whisked smooth.
- Add the potatoes and mix well. Cook in the microwave uncovered for 8-9 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Top with mozzarella cheese (if desired) and continue cooking for 1 minute, or until the cheese is melted. For a golden-brown top, transfer to a 500°F preheated oven and bake until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Sprinkle fresh thyme leaves on top for a fresh presentation.
- Swap potatoes for thinly sliced sweet potatoes or yams.
- For a vegan-friendly dish, substitute butter and cream for vegan butter and full-fat coconut milk.
- Add crumbled bacon or pancetta.
- Reheating Instructions: Cover the Anyday dish with the lid and microwave 3-5 minutes, or until the center is hot. To check, insert a fork in the center and carefully touch it. If the fork is hot, the potatoes are ready to be served.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.