Are you doing the leftovers game right if you don't use every part of the turkey? We think not. Save the turkey carcass for the rich, savory stock that flavors this silky-smooth congee, a Chinese rice porridge. It's a warming yet light dish that's a welcome relief after the holiday indulgences.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time26-27 mins
to scope out holiday deals
- 4 oz (225g) leftover turkey bones
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- ½ cup (60g) finely chopped vegetables (carrot, celery and onion)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ cup (50g) leftover turkey meat, shredded
- ¾ cup (130g) cooked white rice, such as jasmine or regular long grain
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Make the stock: Place turkey bones and water in the Anyday dish. Cook uncovered in the microwave at full power for 8-9 minutes.
- Remove the bones and skim the top of any impurities.
- Make the congee: Add the vegetables, onion powder, garlic, salt, black pepper, leftover turkey meat, and rice to the turkey stock and stir to combine.
- Cook uncovered at full power for 18 minutes, or until the rice has broken down and the stock thickens.
- Season to taste and top with sliced scallions.
Serving suggestions & tips
- In place of homemade stock, you can also use store-bought stock. (Just heat it before adding the other ingredients to keep the cooking time the same.)
- Add grated ginger to the congee for an aromatic twist.
- Drizzle chili sauce on top to make it spicy.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.