Easy Chili Crisp
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time7-9 mins
to FaceTime a friend
Bring the heat with homemade chili crisp made in minutes. Gently "fry" thinly sliced garlic and shallots in a neutral oil (yes, using the microwave), then stir in red chili flakes and other flavorful add-ins. Subtly spicy, this condiment is guaranteed to be your go-to topping.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
- 1 ¼ cups (300ml) peanut or vegetable oil
- ½ cup (40g) shallots, thinly sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (75g) red chili flakes
- ¼ cup (40g) toasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely minced
- Place the oil, shallots, and garlic in the Anyday dish. Cook in the microwave uncovered for 7-9 minutes, or until shallots and garlic are toasted and crispy. (Thinner slices will cook faster; thicker will cook slower.)
- Carefully remove the Anyday dish and allow it to rest for 1 minute. (NOTE: When taking the Anyday dish out of the microwave, put it on a trivet or kitchen towel. Placing the hot Anyday on a cold counter or in the sink may cause the dish to crack.)
- Add the chili flakes, peanuts, cinnamon stick, sugar, salt, soy sauce, and ginger into the hot oil and mix well. Allow it to sit until it comes to room temperature.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Add ground cumin, cardamom pods, and star anise to make the chili crisp even more aromatic.
- Pour this over vegetables, rice, eggs, meat, vanilla ice cream— everything!
- Use standard red chili flakes for this recipe or explore different types of dried chiles.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.