Brightly flavored and fragrant, this traditional French stew makes the most of an abundance of produce. Zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes are simmered until they break down into a chunky stew. This is a simple but deceptively hearty dish, entirely worthy of a movie.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time9-10 mins
to catch up with an old friend
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30g) tomato paste
- ¼ small onion (30g), finely chopped
- ¼ red bell pepper (30g), deseeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup (60g) zucchini, diced
- ½ cup (40g) eggplant, diced
- 2 small roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dry or fresh thyme leaves
- 10 basil leaves, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Place the olive oil, tomato paste, onion, bell pepper, and garlic in the Anyday dish. Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
- Cook in the microwave for 3-4 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Add the zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, thyme, salt, and pepper and toss well to coat.
- Cover and cook for 6 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft when pierced with a fork.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with basil.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Add some chili flakes for a spicy twist.
- Substitute tomato paste for marinara sauce for a more saucy dish.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the vegetables for some tang.
- Add black kalamata or nicoise olives after cooking for a briny touch.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.