Easy Spaghetti Carbonara
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time18-19 mins
to make a reservation at your favorite restaurant
Have you ever had a carbonara disaster? If you’re not watching closely, it is so easy to overcook the sauce and get a scrambled egg mess! With the microwave, this recipe could not be easier — it’s just like magic. Cook the pasta directly in the microwave and use the leftover pasta water to start the silky smooth sauce. (You don't even need to drain it!) Anyday’s unique silicone-lined lid traps in residual heat, emulsifying this decadent dish all in one bowl.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
- 3 oz bacon or guanciale, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 6 oz spaghetti, broken in half
- 1½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- ⅓ cup (30g) grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the bacon: In a single layer, add bacon as you can fit in the Anyday Shallow dish. Cut the bacon strips in half to fit more in the dish. Cover with lid (knob lifted) and cook in the microwave for 5-6 minutes, or until the bacon fat is rendered and the bacon is just beginning to crisp.
- Add spaghetti, water, and salt to an Anyday Deep dish. Cook in the microwave uncovered for 13-14 minutes, or until spaghetti is al dente with a very slight bite. You should have about 2-4 tablespoons of leftover water. Do not drain! This pasta water is essential to the texture of the sauce.
- While the pasta cooks, mix together eggs, egg yolks, parmesan cheese, and black pepper in a separate bowl.
- When the pasta is ready, add bacon and bacon fat and stir vigorously. Add cheese and egg mixture to the spaghetti and immediately toss again until the pasta is well-coated and sauce is silky and glossy.
- Serve immediately with more parmesan, if desired. Pasta will continue to absorb liquid as it sits. If pasta looks dry, add 2 tablespoons of hot water at a time and toss again.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Add pesto before serving for an aromatic and delicious twist.
- Add some veggies! Frozen peas or spinach complement this rich dish.
- Cook sliced mushrooms with the guanciale or bacon for extra umami.
- Keep it vegetarian by replacing the bacon with sliced mushrooms.
- Want to save 5 minutes? Cook bacon on the stove while the spaghetti is cooking in the microwave.
- It’s possible to reheat carbonara! To thin the sauce, add 1 tablespoon of water, microwave until warm, and toss. Add more water if needed.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.