Loaded with diced chicken thighs and spiced with turmeric, garam masala, coriander, cumin, and saffron, this basmati rice dish is a one-dish wonder.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time12 mins
Cook Time27-29 mins
to watch an episode of the show you're binge-watching right now
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 oz (115g) boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1” pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (110g) uncooked basmati rice
- ¾ cup (240ml) water
- ⅛ teaspoon saffron threads
- cilantro leaves, for garnish
- yogurt, for garnish
- crispy onion, for garnish
- Place the oil, chicken, garlic, ginger, yogurt, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, cumin, paprika, and salt in the Anyday dish and mix to combine.
- Distribute the chicken evenly in the dish. Sprinkle the rice over the surface of the chicken in an even layer.
- Add the saffron and pour the water over the dish. Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
- Cook in the microwave at Power Level 4✕
Certain foods cook best in the microwave at lower power levels.
Different microwaves have different settings. See your microwave manual (or look it up online) to learn how to change your microwave’s power level.
For many microwaves: enter the cook time, press the “Power” (or “Power Level”) button, and select a number between 1-10. Other microwaves may require selecting the Power Level first, and then entering the cook time.
Microwaves list power levels in different ways. Here’s a guide to help you adjust:
PL 10 = 100% = High (default)
PL 9 = 90% = High
PL 8 = 80% = Med-High
PL 7 = 70% = Med-High
PL 6 = 60% = Medium
PL 5 = 50% = Medium
PL 4 = 40% = Med-Low
PL 3 = 30% = Med-Low
PL 2 = 20% = Low
PL 1 = 10% = Low
You will know if the power level has been successfully changed if you hear periodic changes in the microwave’s tone after it begins cooking.
- Allow the dish to rest covered for 5 minutes, or until water is fully absorbed.
- Garnish with some more yogurt, fresh cilantro leaves and crispy onions.
Serving suggestions & tips
- To make it extra flavorful, add a pinch of cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and cardamom.
- Use store bought crispy onions or make them yourself.
- For a vegan version, use firm tofu instead of chicken.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.