Cacio e Pepe Mashed Potatoes
It's hard to imagine creamy, steaming hot mashed potatoes getting any better, but we've imagined it. This Italian twist adds parmesan and fresh black pepper for a surprisingly on-the-nose imitation of cacio e pepe.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time7 mins
Cook Time11-12 mins
to daydream about your next vacation
- 2 (340g) medium russet potatoes, washed, peeled, and cut into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup (125ml) milk or half-and-half
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper (or more if desired)
- salt, to taste
- ¼ cup (20g) grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- Place the potato pieces in the Anyday dish. Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
- Cook in the microwave for 9-10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Add the olive oil, milk or half-and-half, black pepper, and salt. Cover and cook for 2 more minutes, or until the milk is warm.
- With a potato masher, fork, or immersion blender, mash the potatoes until creamy. If needed, add more warm milk or half and half until the consistency is to your liking.
- Add grated cheese into the hot potatoes and stir to combine. Sprinkle extra cheese and black pepper on top to serve.
Serving suggestions & tips
- You can substitute the potatoes with sweet potato or yams for equally delicious results.
- Sprinkle the top with some thinly sliced chives for some greenery.
- Add garlic powder to the mixture for a garlicky twist.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.