David Chang's Speedy White Rice
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time19-20 mins
to watch Dave Chang on Youtube
Chef Dave Chang’s shortcut recipe for speedy white rice could not be easier! If you’re looking for the absolute fastest way to make rice, this recipe is for you. For a slightly longer yet hands-off method, take a look at our standard method for cooking white rice.
Note: This fail-proof recipe cooks 1 cup of rice in an Anyday Large Deep Dish; do not cook more rice than the quantity listed below. For larger quantities of rice, please refer to our standard method.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup white rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- Add rice and water to an Anyday Large Deep Dish.
- Cook in the microwave uncovered at full power for 15-16 minutes, or until the water is mostly absorbed by the rice. The edges of the dish will start to dry, though the rice will still look very wet. If you still see a layer of water on top, continue microwaving in 1-minute increments until the water is mostly absorbed.
- Cover with the lid (knob lifted) and continue cooking at full power for another 4-5 minutes. Gently move the rice with a fork — it should feel loose and tender.
- Rest for 5 minutes with the lid on to allow rice to gently finish steaming. Fluff rice before serving.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Always use an Anyday Large Deep Dish to cook rice with this method. Do not cook more than 1 cup of rice.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.