Turmeric Rice Pilaf with Almonds
Forget any preconceptions you might have about rice being a background dish. Flavored with earthy turmeric, this fragrant, nutty pilaf has all the potential to be the star of the show. Use long-grain rice, like Basmati, which contains less starch and cooks into more distinct grains than the short-grain variety.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time26 mins
to go for a run
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 cup (190g) long grain rice
- 1 ⅓ cups (320ml) vegetable stock, chicken stock, or water
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- parsley or cilantro, chopped
- Combine the oil, shallots, garlic, and almonds in the Anyday dish. Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
- Cook in the microwave for 4 minutes, or until the aromatics and almonds begin to toast.
- Add the raw rice, stock, turmeric, and salt.
- Cover and cook at Power Level 4✕
Certain foods cook best in the microwave at lower power levels.
Different microwaves have different settings. See your microwave manual (or look it up online) to learn how to change your microwave’s power level.
For many microwaves: enter the cook time, press the “Power” (or “Power Level”) button, and select a number between 1-10. Other microwaves may require selecting the Power Level first, and then entering the cook time.
Microwaves list power levels in different ways. Here’s a guide to help you adjust:
PL 10 = 100% = High (default)
PL 9 = 90% = High
PL 8 = 80% = Med-High
PL 7 = 70% = Med-High
PL 6 = 60% = Medium
PL 5 = 50% = Medium
PL 4 = 40% = Med-Low
PL 3 = 30% = Med-Low
PL 2 = 20% = Low
PL 1 = 10% = Low
You will know if the power level has been successfully changed if you hear periodic changes in the microwave’s tone after it begins cooking.
- Let the rice rest with the lid on for 3 minutes.
- Add the butter and mix to combine. Garnish with parsley or cilantro.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Adjust the power level by 1 as needed — increase if it’s taking longer than expected, or decrease if it’s bubbling over.
- Enjoy alongside chicken or fish, or topped with a fried egg.
- Add seared tofu and sub olive oil for butter for a complete vegan meal.
- Add golden raisins for a hint of fruitiness.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.