Pozole Rojo (Red Pozole)
This version of Mexico's beloved red chile soup is a family recipe from Aldana, one of our recipe developers. The vibrant broth gets its color and mild spice from dried guajillo and ancho chiles. Rich pork and hominy (corn) give the dish heartiness, and roasted garlic rounds it out.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Need
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time11-13 mins
to savor a piece of chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (canola, sunflower, corn, etc)
- 1 dried guajillo chile, seeds and stem removed
- 1 dried ancho chile, seeds and stem removed 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ small onion, diced (60g)
- 1 ½ cups (340ml) chicken stock
- ½ chipotle pepper (from a can)
- 2 4 oz (230g) boneless pork chops, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 cup (160g) canned hominy, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Lime wedges, fresh cilantro, sour cream, chopped red onion, and diced avocado for garnish
- Add the oil, dried chiles, garlic, and onion into the Anyday dish and mix well. Cook uncovered in the microwave for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion begins to brown.
- Transfer the cooked ingredients into a blender and add the chicken stock and chipotle pepper. Blend until smooth, and then transfer mixture back into the Anyday dish.
- Add the diced pork, hominy, and oregano. Cover with the lid (knob lifted) and cook in the microwave for 8-9 minutes, or until the pork is cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with lime wedges, cilantro, sour cream, chopped red onion, diced avocado, or any other of your favorite toppings.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Substitute chicken breast for pork if you’d like.
- If hominy is not available, you can substitute with your favorite canned beans.
- If you like your pozole extra spicy, add more chipotle peppers or top with pickled or fresh jalapenos.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.